2008-09-28

2008-06-29 (Lindau Day 1)

Germany here we come!

Four of us had arrived at Frankfurt around 6.30 am. Frankfurt International Airport is very big, and confusing! It took us sometime to find the transfer desk, as it was located in the First Class section. Finally, we took a transfer flight to Friedrichshafen Regional Airport (I still have problem pronouncing this place until today) and then found our taxi driver rather quickly. Since it was still too early for the registration, we planned to check-in to the hotels and my hotel was the first, Schachener Hof Hotel, simply because my hotel is the nearest to the regional airport.
The Big Euro Sign.


It took us half an hour to reach our destination and the clock is around 10 am. The taxi driver was very kind and friendly to follow me to the lobby, I was surprised that the Hotel was not the usual type I had stayed before, I need to pass through the restaurant and there is no sign of lobby counter. The hotel manager greeted me and told me that the room was not ready. I had to check in after 2pm. I decided to follow my fellow mates to their hotel, and guess what happen again?


UM in Germany? 

Eventually, we headed towards Prof. Dr. Roslan’s hotel in the Lindau Island, Hotel Reutemann. After settling ourselves down, we decided to take a stroll to the registration counter located in the Inselhalle (literally means Isle Hall). We found that there were already many people in the common area and I was excited. 

Slow walk on the street.

The lady at the registration counter gave me an envelope filled with the details of the 58th Meeting of Nobel Laureates in Lindau, 19th Forum dedicated to Physics and of course an all-rounded Young Researcher Ticket worth 500 Euro! The ticket was valid for all lectures, round table and afternoon discussions, boat trip to the Isle of Mainau, public Lindau busses (this was crucial as our hotels were located outside of the Lindau Island), and swimming pool facilities. Each of us was hot and tired, so our plan was took bus back to our hotels (we took some time to figure out the bus system), and later meet up again at the Inselhalle at 3.30pm.

 In front of the Inselhalle.


I was very hungry and wanted to take my lunch at my hotel. I could not understand the menu (it was plain German!). The waitress had to ask the hotel manager's help to take my order. After some brief questions, the hotel manager recommended me the fish from Lake Constance. Well, why not? It was delicious and I really liked the dish but it cost me 19 Euro (~RM 100!).

 The fish of Lake Constance., yum yum ouch ouch. 

After some quick refreshments, I stepped out quickly to wait for my bus to Inselhalle Lindau. The bus arrival time to the stop just outside my hotel was 3.00pm, and I would reach the Inselhalle at 3.14pm according to the bus schedule. To my very great surprise, the bus came at exactly 3.00pm (noticed that I even included the minutes to highlight the punctuality) and reached my destination at 3.14pm. It was already crowded with people by the time I reached the hall; imagine over 500 participants, together with Nobel Laureates, guests, media representatives, delegation heads, patrons and benefactors, and the Lindau Council. (Did I miss out anyone?) 

 This is what I called punctuality. 


Unfortunately, Countess Sonja Bernadotte was unable to attend the opening ceremony. Instead, her daughter, Countess Bettina Bernadotte, gave the opening speech. The speech was long and detailed but I was paying attention to it. Later, the speech was accompanied by several ceremonies, including award ceremonies and a very interesting opening lecture titled “A Fact Based World View”. Prof. Dr. Hans Rosling showed us a very intuitive way of presenting comparing facts of different countries, such as the gap between the rich’s and the poor’s. The opening ceremony was started, intermediated, and ended with musical performance of two instruments, namely theremin and piano. Why should I mention this? Well, I cannot see how the theremin was played; the performer was like pitching and waving in the air! 

(Side note: Later, Nobel Laureate Dr. Ivan Giaever taught me a very important lesson, always be skeptical and curious. He actually took the effort and checked how the theremin works from the internet.) 

 Countess Bettina Bernadotte.

After our short chat with the Malaysia Ambassador in Germany, we were invited to the dinner organized by the US delegation. Dr. Azwani was not feeling well and went back to her hotel, while Khai Ming and I took our dinner and have some discussion with the Americans (there is one German as well). We also had the chance to meet a Singaporean and another Malaysian who both came under the UK delegation.

 Germany supporters of Euro 2008 Final. 

It was still early to go back and tonight was the final of Euro Cup 2008 (Spain vs. Germany). Well, I was in Germany! So, I planned to take a walk in the island to check out whether was there any crowd gathered to watch the show live on television. Eventually, I came to a large field and there were hundreds of people already sitting and watching the match. Before I moved closer to the field, suddenly there was a guy who touched my bag and asked whether it was laptop inside my bag. The first thought that came to my head was “trouble” but later I was embarrassed because he was actually a security personnel. I did not stay long for the match as I am not so into soccer. It was my time to go home.

 Volkswagen is proton/perodua in Germany.

没有评论:

发表评论